Indoor Bent Vertical Dipole 10-20 Meters. Post 1949.


If you can't see the video, please insert this title URL into your browser search box: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_AX0csSkVw.

Here's a fascinating idea for radio amateurs living in deed-restricted housing (HOAs/CC&Rs).

In this video, KL7JR makes a pvc pipe-based spiral antenna capable of fitting into his 4 ft X 8 ft (1.21 m X 2.43 m) living room window.  Each bent leg is 17 ft/5.18 m long and fits with some space to share in that window frame.

KL7JR describes the antenna in detail:

total length of each leg of the antenna is 17 feet long (each 2 inch diameter coil, one per leg, measures about 14 feet of #14 solid insulated wire). I find the solid wire easier to work with and form the coils. I made the coils larger to better utilize the space I had (hmmm will that work?). My windows were of the new high efficiency plastic style which afforded me a lot of glass and not much metal framing to worry about interference. My LDG-100 auto tuner easily tuned 10, 12, 15, 17 and 20 meters quickly, so that was a good sign for me. Band conditions were terrible the past 3 weekends up here (March 2009) but I managed to work Oregon, Washington, California, Idaho, Montana, New Jersey and Ontario, Canada with S5 or better reports each way on 20 meters. I set my output power to 50 watts so as not to advertise to the neighbors what I was up to! When the bands improve, I will go QRP. On my second QSO with W2NQ in Oregon, 3 weeks apart, John asked how my antenna experiment was going and gave me a 5x8 report. He was a loud 5x9 with me. He was in QSO with W7EL mobile in New Jersey and asked me to call him. W7EL and I exchanged reports- he was 5x1 and I was a 5x3, then we both traded 5x5s a minute later. Not bad for an indoor antenna working a mobile antenna! Later on I added an "ugly balun" near the feedpoint for added insurance
---------------------------------
If you have limited space, you may want to try this antenna.

Thanks for joining us today.

Aloha es 73 de Russ (KH6JRM)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building a ZS6BKW antenna from scratch. Post #1559.

G5RV Multi Band HF Dipole Antenna. Post #1555.

Antenna for Condo Backyard-Stealth. Post #1542.